The Holy Monastery of St. Stephen is one of the most attainable as we don’t have to cope with innumerable stairs to reach it.
Owners are Holy Antony, in the early and mid 15th century and Holy Philotheos, who, in the middle of the 16th century, rebuilt the church of Saint Stephen. In the 16th century, the first frescos of the church are also created. The small single-nave church was decorated in 1545 or a little later.
After 1798, under Bishop of Stagi Paisios from Klinobo of Kalampaka and of the abbot Amvrosios, the present catholic was built in the honour of Saint Charalambos, whose blessed skull is kept there as the most sacred and miraculous heirloom. The frescos at the catholic are created by Vlasis Tsotsonis, perhaps the most important modern hagiographer. The catholic (‘Katholikon’), was built in the Athonite type. The old refectory of the convent is used as a museum nowadays.
According to an old tradition, this monastery is connected with female monasticism.